Monday, February 13, 2012

Hey I'm Sick Again

Snuggled deep in my sofa was I, with my tissues and tea, drifting into a little bout of sleep from the long day of sneezing, when a terrible pain struck me. My sweet tooth was thrashing about, screaming to satisfy its risky demands.
Meaghan, darling, feed me and I shall leave you alone! the urge crooned.
"No, no, I'm too tired, and it's so cold outside of my blankets,' I sighed, snuggling into my pillow. But then the Sweet Tooth grew fierce.
Meaghan, you know nothing of pain! I can cause so much of it! And with that, my stomach growled angrily, tensing up my abdomen with a dull ache. I threw off my covers, ignoring the Sweet Tooth and venturing into the kitchen. My TV blared a cop drama while I ambled forward. I inspected the pantry, eyeing a variety of canned soups.
No, no! Sugar the Tooth shrieked. I realized then I wanted something sweet, not savory. But there was no ice cream in the freezer, no chocolate on the counter, not even fruit in the hanging baskets. The Tooth laughed manically.
Feed me, Meaghan. I was beginning to feel like Seymour from Little Shop of Horrors... This could not end well.
"I don't know how! There's no ice cream, and I can't drive in this snow--"
Think. The voice was growing more and more aggressive, as was the ache in my stomach. Suddenly, I recalled, a box of Mallowmars, stashed in my car. My mother had bought them and left them intentionally as far from us as possible. But I wasn't about to go outside for those cookies.
Those aren't just cookies, Meaghan. Those are Mallowmars. A sweet, soft cookie covered in marshmallow puff, then submerged in rich chocolate. Those are your favorite cookies. And they are only a short walk outside.
I had to admit, the Tooth was making a whole lot of sense. So I tightened my robe and forced my way into my pink polka-dot, one-size-too-small rain-boots and opened the front door. The storm door radiated a chill. Outside I could see a slow, silent drift of light flakes floated over my serene street. None of my neighbors' lights were on; they were all probably asleep even at this early hour. Yes, go, go! Picking up my keys from the bowl on the stereo cabinet by the door, I pushed open the storm door and continued on. The walk was covered in paw prints from my dog that had been filled in slightly by the more recent snow. I was surprised with how cold I wasn't. When I reached the car, I groaned. The car was covered in a mound of white fluff that glinted in the moonlight. I brushed out the snow with my bare hand from the passenger side handle. I then slid the key into the opening and thankfully, it unlocked. I pulled the door open quickly as not to let snow onto the seat. I crawled in and sat for a second. I've always loved being in cars covered in snow, it's so private and safe feeling.
WHAT ARE YOU DOING? GET THE COOKIES! I hastily spun around and grabbed the cookies from the backseat, locked the door, wriggled out and slammed it shut behind me. I shuffled back up the walk and raced back into my house. I pried the boots off my feet and plopped down back into my fort of plush pillows and blankets, happy to return to my TV show.
Eat them. And so I did, I bit into a cookie. The crisp chocolate snapped and gave way to the soft marshmallow and the moist cookie that hinted brown sugar.
Thank you the Sweet Tooth purred.
"No, thank you."

No comments:

Post a Comment